Recent Posts

Wednesday 17 June 2015

God, Our True Rest

In 1991, my then husband and son visited the small cell of Julian of Norwich. This tiny house was a replica of the one built onto the Shrine of St. Julian, from which Julian took her name. Christ favored her with "shewings", or visions, which she wrote down in the first book written in English by a woman.

The visions began in 1373 and Julian wrote her book in 1393.

When I was culling my books two weeks ago, I found the little book I bought on that trip. I intend to share a thought a day from her this week.

Here is today's...little thought.

This is the cause why we are not at rest in heart and soul: that here we seek rest in things that are so little there is no rest in them, and we do not know our God who is all might, all wise and all good. For He is our true rest.

For He is endless and has made us for his own self only, and has restored us by his blessed Passion, and keeps us in His blessed love.  And He does all of this through His goodness.

God of your goodness give me yourself for you are enough for me.