Recent Posts

Thursday 17 July 2014

I know girls

...who are into national and state competitions for cheerleading and baton-twirling. They practice hours each day. They learn to wear make-up and sexy costumes at the age of five.

Can one imagine how saintly these little girls would be if their moms spent as much time teaching them virtues and how to pray? A lady I know said to me of her young grandchild who is eleven, "She is growing up a little pagan."

Little pagans...

Last year and a long time ago when I was in grad school, the Batontwirling Championships took place at Notre Dame.

I remember a sign in the old bookstore, 'No batons allowed."

Way back then, many of us were scandalized by the heavy make-up, the skimpy costumes, and the purposeful sexualization of little girls.

I cannot, or rather, will not, show photos.