Recent Posts

Monday 23 June 2014

No Altar, No Throne


One of the most painful things about not living in one’s own space is having to work without one’s schedule. One cannot do what one wants to do or go where one wants to go. But, I think one learns humility by giving up the desires for peace and quiet, for solitude, for daily Mass, for Adoration. God is in charge of every detail of our lives.

I know of a man who set up, years ago, the longest 24/7 Adoration in the area. Recently, he became quite ill. He has had to give up going to the Adoration Chapel he himself set up for the benefit of the entire two-state area.

His purification is in this dying to self, this giving up of his daily visit to his Love, Christ in the Eucharist. How painful this must be for this good man?

His death of will is a great example to me. I have complained too much of not being able to attend daily Mass and twice or thrice weekly Adoration, since I left Europe at the end of the first week of November.

Now, through this holy man’s example, I see that what I have experienced in the last seven months has been God’s Will for me. What I have wanted to do the most, receive Christ daily in the Eucharist, and to adore Him in the monstrance, have been denied me.

Christ has, like the Bridegroom in The Song of Songs, removed Himself from me on a daily basis for the good of my soul, because I am so impure, so “dark” and not worthy to be His bride.

His removal has been painful. There is no consolation in not seeing my Beloved on the altar and in His small throne, the monstrance, except for this consolation-that this denial of His Presence is His Will for now.

This has obviously been His Will for me. I wish I had seen this earlier and not whined about His absence, the lack of a church in walking distance, the lack of Adoration, the lack of churches, period.

What He has taught me through the great sacrifice of the man who can no longer see Christ daily is that the Passion must be not only endured, but embraced. When one actually desires suffering, desires penance, desires the absence of one’s Love, something begins to change in the soul—the death of self-will.

How strange that The Song of Songs reveals exactly how Christ treats those of us who want to love Him more and more. Christ must retreat from our presence in order for us to desire Him above all persons, all plans, all conveniences, all things….

The heart must burn for completeness…..and these words are almost echoes something Christ said to St. Angela so long ago-that He was withholding Himself for the sake of her purification. Christ wanted her to desire Him more than she did.

So be it….