Recent Posts

Monday 17 March 2014

On The Mundane

I have been looking at luggage. The airlines broke two of my suitcases. One was ripped on the side, and the other had both the bottom ripped, and the place where one places the lock broken off. I shall publicly tell you not to buy Rockport luggage, as after one trip these things happened.

However, looking at replacements has proven to be a difficult task. Most of the luggage on sale at a local shop is not first or second rate, but third.  And, the TSA now has approved locks. Sigh, the days of using old Samsonites from the 1960s seems over.

Simpler days.  I remember flying when customers were wooed by airlines, when customers were treated to comfortable seats with leg room, when customers felt like humans and not sardines in "squeezy jets".

Buying luggage complicated my entire day, as looking at consumer ratings took much longer than I expected. The older brands we knew and loved are no longer the best buys or the sturdy suitcases. I have used Delsey in the past, but the prices of this good brand have skyrocketed-no pun intended.

The best ones listed on surveys and consumer "digests" cost way too much for my very small budget, and the sales seem to be clearances of lines no longer applicable to fitting into the new rules for cabin bags. Some airlines now only accept 10 kgs in the cabin, and 20 kgs in the hold. People must buy stuff at the other end of their journeys.

If I could take a ship back to Europe, I would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:QV_in_Southampton.JPG