Recent Posts

Sunday 23 March 2014

Cult of Personality Again

Years ago, I wrote an article on the "cult of personality", which has engulfed the imaginations of people all over the world. Whether a man or woman is good or bad, this cult of personality involves following famous or infamous individuals across the globe.

Now, I have never been a person to be attracted to personalities. I skipped seeing the Beatles as a teen in my area, as I could not stand the adoration of four not-so-perfect men which swept through my generation. In fact, as I have written on this blog, two girls broke down in hysteria in gym class, and had to be led to the nurse's office, the day they found out Ringo Starr had gotten married.

I did not idolize the local heroes of high school football. I did not idolize the president of the student government. Some girls did.

I never idolized the rich or the poor just because such people were rich or poor.

Being impervious to following rock stars or politicians, members of the monarchy or movie stars, I have not really understood the power of false charism. To be watching and following such people makes up a complete waste of time, time I can spend looking at the Cross on the wall here.

Are some people's lives so boring, or are some people so lacking in creativity that these folk must read about births, deaths, marriages, divorces of the rich and famous?

Ho-hum.

The following of Putin falls into the category of the "cult of personality". He has been made a saint by some who have given him the halo for just being a macho man or because our own president is weak, especially in foreign affairs.

Saints earn their stripes by being humble and loving God first, rather than themselves. The way to sainthood must be seen as an arduous journey, not a photo op.

In our own country of America, many idolize POTUS and wife; why I do not know.

I would not have idolized Washington or Lincoln. They were men with a job to do and they did it. Basta. Do I give honor to honorable people? Of course-but the key phrase in that sentence is "honorable".

I have one human idol and He is the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. I am allowed to idolize Him as He really is God, not a false god.

By the way, we become those we idolize. Think on that....

to be continued....