Recent Posts

Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Hour Glass Part Twenty-Four

The young priest stood on the porch looking up at the brown and black mountains to the south. He had completed his visits the day before and was resting, at least part of the day, on this Feast. He stretched, and turned to look the great eastern sky, beyond the sands and scrub-land, when Mother General approached him. Five days had passed since her miraculous healing, which, if nothing else, converted the dubious agnostic doctor, who now decided to come to daily Mass whenever he could. Mother General had another surprise for the young priest. She had had a "vision".

She stood next to the young priest, who was young enough to be her great-grandson. She had explained to him that the night of her healing, she had seen this, as if an old 3-D movie was projected onto to her bedroom wall.

"The skies were bright blue, as in the times before the nuclear blast. Birds flew over the mountains-many different types of birds, eagles, hawks, sparrows, song birds, all singing a strange morning chorus, which I have never heard in the West, but only in the Midwest and East years and years ago."

Her old blue eyes sparkled, as if she was describing the meeting of a long-lost love. "Then, I saw my little community and the monks from the old monastery up north, all in white and walking slowly towards the mountains, which suddenly shone gold and orange, almost as if they were on fire."

She stopped and folded her hands like she was praying. "Then, I saw a chariot, gigantic, silver, white, pulled by white horses, more beautiful than any horses on my father's ranch when I was growing up. The charioteer's robes shone so bright that at first, I did not know Who He was. Then, I saw His Face. It was my Bridegroom, dressed for battle. His strong and firm Face looked forward, past the birds, past the nuns and monks, to me. Then, He took His sword and made a movement as if cutting something. I felt a great heat go through my body, and I felt as if I was lifted off the bed. Then, I noticed The Lord was wearing a crown of gold and jewels. I heard thunder and saw lightning, but it was not lightning, but angels, in bright, different colors of light, with swords in their hands. Each of these lightning angels went in different directions, some north, some south, some east, some west. Then, I saw The Lord put His sword back in its scabbard. He reached out and took my hand and pulled me up. That is when I stood up, not knowing whether I was in a dream or not, whether I was alive or dead."

"Then, I heard His Voice, deep, calm, but strong. 'The next time I come, it will be in battle. You are chosen to see this.'"

Mother General stopped again. "I am so old. Do you think He meant the Second Coming, Father?"

Antonio waited to share his answer. They both looked at the sun rising above the land. "No, I do not think so. I think Christ means we are chosen to shed our blood for Him. The battle will be between some good and some evil. But, when that time is I do not know. Be at peace. We shall be ready."

He paused. "All we have is the time now, like the Hour Glass without the sand-the present moment."

Mother General answered softly, "Yes, I am ready. Now, I must "ready" my dear nuns."  The bell for Lauds rang at dawn, and the two walked slowly into the chapel. It was the Feast of the Annunciation and the nuns began the chant.

Missus est Gabriel Angelus ad Mariam Virginem desponsatam Ioseph. 

Antonio followed the Diurnal with the nuns. He loved the sweet voices and the new peace he shared.

The hymn for the day washed over Antonio like a soft shower of gold. He knew that the darkness of the past had faded into a light, a great light which would now, until his death, accompany him on his way.

Vitam præsta puram,
iter para tutum,
ut videntes Jesum
semper collætemur.


Sit laus Deo Patri,
Summo Christus decus,
Spiritui Sancto,
Tribus honor unus. Amen.

The End

copyright 2014