Recent Posts

Wednesday 29 January 2014

A reality check


More than two years ago in Malta, as a foreigner, I could not get cash out of the ATMS twice. Once, when there was a run on the banks in Greece, no one who did not have an account with the local banks could get cash.

Then, weeks later, the same thing happened when there was a crisis in Latvia.

I paid attention to this. Also, many places refused to take English bank credit cards. Period.

Many restaurants refused credit and debit cards.

This passed, but for two weeks, I had to get cash wired to me.

What if the wired money was held up? People were lined up for days outside the money wiring offices.

This is now happening in Europe again, even as I write.

Are you paying attention? Do you understand what this means?

Your money is no longer your own.

One of my degrees is in history. One of my specialties is WWI. EU and America look like the world in the West before that war...I am sorry to say this. But, those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.