Recent Posts

Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Pit House Part Four

A huge crash broke the silence of the dungeon, and all the wolves stood up, looking towards the iron gate at the end of the room. A small light could be seen in the distance behind the bars of the gate. Tete could hear low growls. Suddenly, they animals and Tete heard yelling but echoing, as if far away, and a metal door could be heard scraping and being slammed shut. Footsteps were heard running away from the room where the pack waited, watched, ready. But the light disappeared and Tete knew some one had been left behind in a cell. The wolves moved towards the gated, but waited. Then, the wolf king leaned its entire weight against it and it opened. "I have done this before. All follow me." Tete got back up on the wolf king's back and the entire pack silently moved down a small corridor with doors on either side. The air smelled of death.

The wolf king stopped by one door. It was a solid door, with no window and the lock was thick. The wolf king opened his huge mouth and chomped the lock into two. Then, it pushed the door opened with its front paws and Tete slid off its back and stood behind the large animal.

Barely, in the darkness, the pack and Tete could see a young man of about thirty with long red hair pulled back in a long braid. He had been beaten, but was quite able to stand up. He came towards the door and then, a look of shock came over his handsome face.

"I have seen you before, Great Wolf. You fought the courtiers years ago, after the great storm drove your pack into the valley."

The wolf king did not answer, but moved to one side. Tete was face to face with her brother. But, was it?

She knew she had to recognize the master to break the spell of her brother. If she identified this man incorrectly, all was lost.

She slipped the sapphire ring onto her small finger and held out her hand to the man.  He took her hand, but said nothing to her.

"You are the prince of this land. I recognize you as the master."

The wolves remained silent, and the man came out of the door into the small hallway.

"Yes, I am the prince, and I have been changed for another who looks like me. He is a fraud. I am to die here, while those who wish to take the kingdom from me are victorious. They have already killed my father, whose body lies in state just above us in the main chamber of the throne room. But, why are you here and what do these wolves have to do with me?"

Tete said nothing, but the wolf king growled, "We are here to help this woman, Tete, free both you and her brother, used by evil men. When you have regained power with our help, we shall ask you for part of the forest and mountains for our own. Then, we shall take Tete back to her house, with her brother, and you will be king."

The prince answered, "I do not know who is faithful to me among my men. Those who took me and put me here were trusted soldiers, officers. I have no one and no one knows of the man who is in my place as a fraud."

Tete spoke. "Help us help you, and we shall be content, but I beg of you not to punish my brother, who is innocent." The prince stared at this lovely woman. She could have been his sister, they looked so much alike.

"So be it." The prince agreed that the wolves would lead the way into the secret tunnel into the throne room which was done quickly. A smallish hatch door pushed open into a corner of the throne room, where the body of the king lay in state, surrounded by two guards.

"Let me go first, and see how they respond to me. If they attack me, you attack them. but if they are bewildered, wait in the darkness until I call for you."

The prince, whose name was Akihiko, moved into the light and walked towards the two guards.

"My Lord, what are you doing here and why you have been beaten!" Akihiko knew they were his men.

He quickly told them what had happened. Then he said, "You must find out how many are faithful to me, but before you do, look at the army I have with me." And he beckoned the pack to move forward into the light.

The soldiers could not believe a pack of twenty wolves, led by a giant one and a young woman. They were stunned into silence.

Akihiko said, "Gather those who are loyal to me and meet us here. We shall stay hidden until you come back. Do not touch the other false prince. Do not."

The men left and the prince went over to his dead father. He bowed his head and then, he took the sword from the side of the dead king and held it up. He was a king now. Tete knew she had recognized the master.


Torches came into the room, and about thirty to forty soldiers followed the two guards. They all knelt before the prince. "King Akihiko, we are loyal to you. Tell us what to do."

To be continued....