Recent Posts

Saturday 24 August 2013

A Country Girl in The City

Sherborne

I wrote on this before this summer, in fact a mere 19 days ago, which seems like an eternity as so many good things have happened.

http://supertradmum-etheldredasplace.blogspot.ie/2013/08/day-people-vs-night-hawks.html

I have tried to maintain my normal day-person schedule, but it will be impossible until I leave the city.

Everything gets loud about eleven at night and continues until four a.m.  Even a dance studio nearby has lessons which start at nine. Amazing. I must say that the Dubliners like parties.

Of course, Dubliners are no longer all Irish, and so the music is as varied as a pop radio station. And, a very loud party has just begun at 12:30 a.m.

Vermilion River Area

I am a country girl, although I love London, but London is made up of small villages, which still have their own feel and neighbourhoods, although that ancient configuratioin is disappearing quickly. I lived in many places in my life but have always preferred smallish country towns; Sherborne, Dorset; Petersfield, Hampshire; Walsingham, Norfolk; DeWitt, Iowa; Vermilion, Alberta; Maryville, Missouri. These are my favourite places from my past.

Petersfield

Everyone knows everyone else, but leaves one alone, at least in England, Iowa, and Missouri. One engages as much or as little as one desires.

Near Maryville
I miss the nestled independence of the small town. I do not care if there is not much to do. I have done most things and only need a simple life. So, little places appeal to me.


A garden, a store, maybe a stationer's shop, a Catholic Church, places to walk, a post office...

Small is beautiful. But, later on today, I shall write about some amazing places in Dublin.