Recent Posts

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Thoughts from 2009 Two

The superb head of the philosophy department told me I should be teaching philosophy instead of English as a Second Language. I agree with him. He said that because I want to help young people to think, that philosophy courses are the way to make people think.

I am convinced one can teach thinking in any class, unless that class merely is geared to a test. I introduce thinking skills in paragraphs, and journalling, which makes me unpopular with some lazy students, but the best like these skills to learn.

But, I do not think women should be teaching either philosophy or theology in seminaries, and I have rebelled here against being part of the chaplaincy formation team, which the head of department is. Against Rome...and not appropriate.

Thinking skills can be taught over breakfast conversations....and at my weekend movie and pizza parties. Thinking can be taught to children in chores and in cooking lessons.

Therefore, my philosophy class happens over retro parties and salon type discussions and dinners.

In times like these, thinking must happen in the family gatherings and my sems are my family...