Recent Posts

Friday 21 June 2013

On Enemies And The Rocks of Semei


What constitutes a personal enemy? Someone who has animosity towards one-is that person an enemy? When I was working for the Church or in education in various capacities in the past, a few lay people and a few priests did not like me as I was Catholic and not an apostate. Same was true at ND.  Being in academia, I know there will always be camps and factions.

But, as a lowly lay woman, I find that the animosity to Truth is just as strong in the pews as in the halls of learning. Odd that. I pray for those who do not like me strongly or even hate me, as it is really not me they hate, but either what I stand for, that is the Teaching Magisterium of the Church, or they are prejudiced. I do not belong to the Church of Supertradmum but to the Catholic Church. Ever since I was a child, except for my months of darkness while in college, I took the teachings of the Church to heart. I love the Church, the Bride of Christ. I have sacrificed for the Church and will always choose to do so. But, there are great prejudices at work here.

I have met more prejudice here in England than in the States. The English in the pew can be a judgemental lot, and as a single mom, an American, and far from rich, I have met scorn. However, as a sinner, what can I expect? In fact, I rejoice in scorn, believe it or not, as God allows it. Like David, who was cursed by Shimei:

And David and his men with him went by the way. And Semei by the hill's side went over against him, cursing, and casting stones at him, and scattering earth. 2 Samuel 16:13 DR

I love this passage, as David knew that God was allowing Semei to curse him. That David was innocent did not matter. David spared Semei's life because David was humble. So too, even when I am innocent in a situation and being cursed or hated, I can say that the reproaches are for my benefit. If I am innocent in one situation that does not mean I always have been and God knows the secrets of my heart.

God has sometimes moved me out of situations where I was facing reproach for standing up for Church teaching. However, one cannot stop going to Church on Sunday because of factions. Like David, I must bear the reproaches and thank God for humbling me. However, I do not have to agree with falsehoods or pretend that apostasy or false teachings held by others are right for the sake of peace. That would be sinful.



What is most disconcerting are those who refuse to be open to rational discourse. Some people hate me because I want to bring reason into religious discussions. Sad, this....

The anti-intellectualism of so many Catholics here, especially women, creates a church within the Church. Too many women do not think like Catholics. and too many live on emotional religion, seeking experiences and feelings which have nothing to do with real Faith or the journey to holiness. The relentless search for Truth in the Benedictine Rule why I love the nuns at Tyburn so much. They seek Truth daily in themselves and in God. They are ruthless in discovering the Truth.

But, why some people then turn to strong dislike or hatred of Truth is a bit of a mystery. I have no power at all, no status, no platform except my proverbial pen. If someone is involved in something wrong and I know them well, I shall try and reasonably point out error. But, so many Catholics do not want to engage in study, even of the CCC. or read the encyclicals, or try to understand the real road to holiness. I have patiently pointed out the Church's teaching and met with the phrase, "Oh, this is just your opinion".  But, relativism is not the real motive for persisting in error. Relativism is part of the problem, but the real problem is the seeking of power.

Those who do not want to know what the Church states on matters of faith and morals want power.

Those few who hate me, and there are a few, are apostates mostly. Those few who really dislike me are charismatics, mostly. Interesting, that. But, I am more and more convinced that what charismatics really want is power-the power to heal or pray in a certain way or whatever. This is not my religion, the seeking of power. 

I pray for all and understand where they stand with regard to such things as contraception or the running after religious experience outside orthodoxy. I pray because I must pray, and I hope that reason wins the day. I pray for them and for my own soul.

But, I am not hopeful when I pray for others in the Church, not because of a lack of Faith, but because I understand human nature. Only God converts, really, not me. One ends up in silence, the silence of the mystery of Faith.


Jesus was not naive nor was he a "simpleton". He, as God and as Man, knew that some people were not trustworthy concerning the Truth and Himself. He could not work miracles in those towns of unbelief and sophistication. He .was a carpenter, remember, and from Nazareth. "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?",  Nathanael asked in John 1:46. It is convenient for some English people to hid behind prejudices. They claim they love the poor Christ, but when He is in their midst, if He is not in their "camp" or religious framework or class structure, He is sacrificed.

When those in the Church who want power finally decide to want the Truth instead, then the Church will see a new holiness and an interior strength. Sadly, too many women in the Church are seeking power, not Truth. I have not wanted power, only Truth, and in that desire, God meets me in Himself in the one, holy, Catholic and apostolic Church.

BTW, if the priests and bishops were not tolerating heresy and New Age increments in the Church here, I would not have to face such opposition. When the leaders back down from preaching the Truth, this duty falls on the shoulders of the laity. We are our brothers keepers.

And another BTW, those who now dislike me never read my blog. So, as usual, I am preaching to the choir. 

But Jesus did not trust himself unto them, for that he knew all men, And because he needed not that any should give testimony of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 2:24-25, DR