Recent Posts

Monday 18 March 2013

On Pysanky

I am 50% Czech and these eggs, or similar, were made by my ancestors. Here is Wiki on pysanka

pysanka (Ukrainianписанка, plural: pysanky

Many other eastern European ethnic groups decorate eggs using wax resist for Easter. These include the Belarusians (пісанка, pisanka), Bulgarians (писано яйце, pisano yaytse),Croats (pisanica), Czechs (kraslice), Hungarians (hímestojás), Lithuanians (margutis), Poles (pisanka), Romanians (ouă vopsiteincondeiate or impistrite), Serbs (pisanica),Slovaks (kraslica), Slovenes (pisanica, pirhi or remenke) and Sorbs (jejka pisać).
.



If you have never had an Ukrainian Easter, I cannot describe what you have missed.



I miss my Ukrainian parish in Canada.




The "Church ladies" made drop-dead gorgeous pysanky. I have never made those, but I have made many, many perogies.