Recent Posts

Monday 25 February 2013

Part 53: St. Bernard and Perfection and DoC Series



Some saints have written on the Unitive State: Ss. John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila are the most familiar to us of those who reached this stage of perfection.

So, too, did St. Bernard.

Bernard states this:

When sin is wiped out, creatures and creator become one in spirit, each can behold the other, each can love the other. When this perfect state has been attained, the partial dissimilarity will disappear and the soul will be limited to God by perfect love; man and his maker will have full knowledge of each other; will see each other. They will become one and undivided and again man will resemble God. Then the soul will know God as God knows her; she will love him as he love her."

Now, this is an astounding statement.

We in the lay life rarely think in such terms in our relationship with God. This insight is from experience.

Here is Bernard, again:

From the Cross which thou are raised, look at me, my Beloved; draw me to thyself and say to me: 'I have cured thee, thou are forgiven!' Whilst I embrace thee in a transport of love, I am conscious of my unworthiness."

These are the words of a man who has reached the Unitive State.

To be continued....