Recent Posts

Thursday 10 January 2013

Walking in Malta and not being trendy



In 2011, I ruined a pair of Danskos in Valletta in two months and my current pairs are getting a beating here. The streets are not necessarily flat-paved, but cobblestone, stone, gravel, or just not there.

The dust lies thick and rocks and stones, from which this island is formed, dig into the leather.

No
No

No


I am glad I have sturdy walking shoes and am grateful for the friends who sent them to me last summer. I am hard on shoes, as I walk everywhere, at a hefty pace, and through all kinds of weather.

Ireland was a test. One pair succumbed to daily rain, mud, uneven pavements, unknown goo, etc.
Yes
Yes
"Oh, that is sensible." Sensible I am but not trendy, as the trendy footwear in Malta are tight fitting black boots, with pointed toes and tassles, or tiny pumps in various types of bling.

Out I go in a few minutes in my beat-up, well-worn clogs. I am SO boring.............