Recent Posts

Sunday 27 January 2013

A Hiding Place


Most of us live relatively unknown lives of ordinariness wherein we work out our salvation in prayers and cooperation with the Holy Spirit of God.

That we are unknown is a great blessing. To be unknown means one has great freedom.

Can your imagine being a celebrity and having to have body guards and agents and secretaries and dog-sitters?

I mean, the famous cannot move around easily in their own home towns.

We unknowns have a great freedom.  

There are many, many saints who are unknown-the majority of people who are in heaven are unknown.

This is part of the mystery of the Incarnation.

Christ came almost in disguise. He came to a lowly couple, a young woman and  man of the decrepit 
House of David. He entered the world at midnight, in a small, insignificant shelter. He became a carpenter.

Here is Christ in Matthew 11 on St. John the Baptist.


Jesus said, “What did you go out into the desert to see? A reed[a] blown by the wind? What did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes live in kings’ palaces. So why did you go out? To see a prophet? Yes, and I tell you, John is more than a prophet. 10 This was written about him:
‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,

    who will prepare the way for you.’ Malachi 3:1





The unknown saints have the advantage of being protected from evil and the evil one particularly does not notice insignificance. He missed Christ. 

So, too, we are protected in our littleness and obscurity. For those of you who are known, I pray for your protection. From my hiding place, I can see and pray and not desire ever to be known, except by Christ Alone, the Bridegroom.

You are my hiding place; you shall preserve me from trouble; you shall surround me about with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7