Recent Posts

Monday 10 December 2012

I envy the Medieval people their love of Mary in the culture

 Lullay: I saw a swete semly syght 
‘Lulay, lullow, lully, lullay,
 Bewy, bewy, lully, bewy,
 Lully, lullow, lully, lullay,
 Baw, baw, my barne,
 Slepe softly now.’ 
I saw a swete semly syght,
A blisful birde, a blossum bright
That murnyng made and mirth of mange;
A maydin moder, mek and myld,
In credil kep a knaue child
That softly sleep; sche sat and sange.
‘Lullay, lullow, lully, lullay,
Bewy, bewy, lully, bewy,
Lully, lullow, lully, lullay,
Baw, baw, my child,
Sleep softly now.’
I saw a sweet, beautiful sight,
a blissful maiden, a blossom bright,
who mourned and rejoiced together.
A maiden mother, meek and mild,
in a cradle kept her boy child,
who softly slept; she sat and sang.

I discovered this group a long time ago, in 1991 or so. I am a great lover of Medieval music of all sorts and to me, their re-introduction of some of the Marian carols was such a blessing.Somewhere is a box in Illinois, is my copy, along with other Anonymous 4 CDs