Recent Posts

Saturday 25 August 2012

OMGoodness, Cooking

I love to cook and I love to cook for parties. I can "do" Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Greek, American, Italian, Vegetarian, and some--a little--Czech and Ukrainian without looking at a cookbook. I learned to cook for groups in my twenties, and when I was in grad school, I did some party catering.

When I was in kindergarten, the classroom had an upstairs loft which was a complete wooden kitchen for little ones complete with all the pots and pans and dishes. Even the boys liked it.

At home, when we entertained, it did not have to be fancy. But, it had to be fun. We would have all the single, male teachers over on the weekend. It was great fun.

When my son was ten, I bought him a cookbook. He is a great cook. But, I have just learned in the past few years that there are many, many young women who do not know how to cook.

I did not take home economics, as I was in the college prep track in high-school. My brothers and I went to a high school with two campuses, basically on the same site: one for girls and one for boys. Two of my brothers took bachelor classes where they learned how to cook, sew and do laundry. It was very helpful for them to have those skills when they went to university.

Why is it that so many women do not know how to cook?

Here are the reasons I have gleaned over the past few years:

one) small families eat out and most families are now small;

two) mom is not at home and does not teach cooking to the kids and people eat on the go;

three) women are in rebellion and feel like they do not want to be "domestic slaves";

four) it is not trendy;

five) no one eats together any more--people graze.

six) people no longer entertain in the home-we did this all the time but then, Americans like to eat.

Well, there are probably more reasons. But, women should realize that cooking is fun. It is an art. It is creative.

Millennials, learn how to cook. Have some fun. Eat and share. Make it trendy again to get together with your friends and cook.