Recent Posts

Tuesday 3 July 2012

All Creatures of Our God and King...This Blog Likes Dogs and Cats and Birds and Squirrels and....


See my Westie rescue site below, where there is a link. And, know that there are fatwas out there against "decorative dogs". All God created is good and all Creation is from God.  The great St. Philip Neri had a little dog, St. Thomas More had a monkey and St. Benedict had a pet crow. There is a breed named after my favorite saint, Bernard. I am sure readers can add to the list of saints with pets. And, did not St. Raphael accompany Tobias with a dog? My religion, the Catholic Faith, likes dogs and we know that God likes dogs--really!


St. Roch, or Rock is the patron saint of dogs. He is also the patron saint of bachelors. Is there a connection? I cannot see it myself...







On the other side of the question, at least one religion hates dogs...

"Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, 'We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog.'" -- Sahih Bukhari 4.54.50
"Abdullah (b. Umar) (Allah be pleased with them) reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered the killing of dogs and we would send (men) in Medina and its corners and we did not spare any dog that we did not kill, so much so that we killed the dog that accompanied the wet she-camel belonging to the people of the desert." -- Sahih Muslim 10.3811
"Narrated 'Aisha: The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said, "Prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman (if they pass in front of the praying people)." I said, 'You have made us (i.e. women) dogs.' I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away. for I disliked to face him." -- Sahih Bukhari 1.9.490
An Iranian cleric Ayatollah Lotfollah Safi Golpaygani issued a fatwa against "buying, selling and keeping decorative dogs," the Jomhouri Eslami newspaper reported.




St. Raphael, pray for us.....and for all pet lovers.
Italicized text is from the Great Spencer

I life the Corgi in this painting of St. Francis, patron of animals. And, just a note to Father Z, there is a squirrel in this picture....Ah, Catholics also have a sense of humor.