Recent Posts

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Visiting Britain in the Rain

As a visitor to England, I am aware that I have been spoiled by excellent weather elsewhere and coming back to the rain and gloom is a bit of a shock. However, when I was in Ireland a while ago, it really did rain everyday, and that is not the case in England. In fact, there has been a hosepipe ban in many parts of the eastern and southern parts of England. After the rain of today, I wonder if it is still "on".  Many people love the temperate climate, which is changing back to the more continental climate England saw in the Middle Ages, before the Atlantic Drift, (North Atlantic Current), shifted closer to the coastal lands. It is moving out farther again and the summers are hotter and the winters colder here.


Temperate climates are the most popular for many people, especially those who hate the cold, like myself. However, I must admit the rain today literally dampened my spirits and I was wishing I was back in sunny Malta, which I visited last year. Sigh. At least Summer is on the way. On the positive side, the flowers and trees are blooming, creating a gorgeous Spring in the "green and pleasant land" of England.